- The World Health Organization increased the epidemiological alarm level from 3 to 4 (out of 6).
Closing public spaces may be a good idea to stop the spread of the flu:
- Public Health Interventions during the 1918 influenza pandemic – Healthcare Economist
- How (and How Not) to Battle Flu: A Tale of 23 Cities – N.Y. Times
- Ever since the 2003 outbreak of SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, Hong Kong has used infrared scanners to measure the facial temperatures of all arrivals at its airport and at its border crossings with mainland China. Dr. Thomas Tsang, the controller of the Hong Kong government’s Center for Health Protection, said Sunday afternoon at a news conference that any traveler who had passed through a city with laboratory-confirmed cases and who arrived in Hong Kong with a fever and respiratory symptoms would be intercepted by officials and sent to a hospital to await testing. “Until that test is negative, we won’t allow him out,” he said.
- H.T.: Marginal Revolution